Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Driving through Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee

        In so many places, I have had preconceived notions of what the countryside would be like and found that I was wrong.  Alabama is another place that has shown me I didn't know as much as I thought I did.  Rather than the continuous flat cotton fields I expected, the countryside contained rolling hills and lots of pine trees.  The deciduous trees were kissed with a light green color from the tiny leaf buds that were beginning to grow. Northern Alabama has several large reservoirs  that are part of the Tennessee Valley Authority water management system and they are lined with homes and full of fishing boats.  I think in the US we love to fish regardless of what state we may reside.


Real hills!
Would you believe a moose in Alabama?

We camped in a state park outside of Huntsville.  The park was on a hill overlooking the city and had many walking trails and beautiful vistas.  There were three different boy scout groups camped there.  I never think about scout groups camping in February, but in this climate it is actually very pleasant!  The ground was covered with about a foot of old oak leaves and Louie loved to run through them and stir them up!


Many of the fields were covered with purple flowers.  I suspect they are part of a cover crop, but may also be weeds.  I am not sure.  The combination of the purples, the red of the dirt and the hint of green on the trees was beautiful!

My mother's sister and my cousin live in Huntsville.  My aunt had just a few days before our arrival moved to an assisted living facility.  We were able to visit with both of them there and share a meal.  I treasure the opportunity to spend some time together and catch up on each other's lives! (She was always my favorite aunt!)


Huntsville is very proud of its involvement in our space program.  This is where the German rocket scientists were brought after World War II and continues to be a key location for space exploration enterprises.



We crossed the Northeast corner of Mississippi and drove along the southern border of Tennessee.  We camped near the Mississippi on the edge of Memphis.  To get to the campground we drove through a very impoverished section of Memphis that made me want to cry for the residents.  I think it would be almost impossible to live there and have any hope for the future.
The wind can blow!
Tennessee cotton field.
Shadows of Memphis.
     We considered going to Graceland, but decided against it.  Neither of us really like Elvis' music, and to pay the $60 to get in to view extravagant living at its most decadent wasn't appealing.  I am sure that many would disagree with us though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment